Eighteen regional finalists
2017 was a strong year for entries with applicants from a wide geographic spread of establishments across the UK.
Watch the Birmingham semi final on local ITV news… Read more…
The regional finals will be held simultaneously on Thursday 23rd March 2017. They will take place at University College Birmingham and University of West London, Ealing.
The chefs competing in Birmingham
Jack Brough, Fera at Claridge’s, Mayfair, London
Scott Dineen, BaxterStorey, London
Dylan Owens, Fine Dining Company, Tattenhall, Cheshire
Ashley Randall, George Hotel, Yarmouth
Peter Turnpenny, Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, Windermere, Cumbria
Matthew Whitfield, The Driftwood Hotel, Portscatho, Cornwall
The chefs competing in London
Martin Carabott, Luca Restaurant, Clarkenwell, London
James Coe, Harbour & Jones (Ashurst), London
Michael Cruickshank, Bohemia, St Helier, Jersey
Oliver Downey, Fera at Claridge’s, Mayfair, London
Joseph Fallowfield, Kota, Porthleven, Cornwall
Daniel Lines, Restaurant Associates (Credit Suisse), London
Paul Matthews, Vacherin, (Fieldfisher), London
Alexander Robinson, Restaurant Associates (Credit Suisse), London
David Scarpato, Gemelli, Newport, South Wales
Luke Selby, Dabbous, London
George Tomlin, The Clove Club, London
Fergus Wilford, Cliveden House, Taplow, Berkshire
Facts about the finalists:
- Martin Carabott, Scott Dineen and Paul Matthews all competed in last year’s final. Michael Cruickshank and David Scarpato were regional finalists in 2016.
- Thirteen chefs are new to the competition.
- Five competitors are from contract catering companies.
- Simon Rogan continues his strong association with the competition; two finalists, Jack Brough and Oliver Downey, work for Dan Cox (2008 scholar) at Fera at Claridge’s.
- Fergus Wilford is in André Garret’s brigade at Cliveden and Peter Turnpenny works for Hrishikesh Desai (2009 scholar) at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House.